Emerging Environmental Leaders – Volunteer Director posting
The Emerging Environmental Leaders Forum is looking for 5 experienced and enthusiastic Directors to join the Organizing Committee. This Committee will include the Forum Project Manager and 5 Directors. The 5 new Directors will share the following skills:
– A detail- and task-oriented work ethic;
– Demonstrated experience working on medium to large scale events and/or campaigns;
– A passion for, and/or experience in, the environmental sector;
– The ability to work in a team of committed volunteers;
– The ability to commit between 5 and 7 hours per week (increasing as the event draws near) this fall, winter, and spring.
Your Role: Each Director will be responsible for a specific area of the organization of the Forum.
With the support of the Forum Project Manager, you will develop and implement a work plan.
Your responsibilities will include:
– Attending online weekly team meetings;
– Updating the Project Manager on the progress of your work;
– Supporting other Directors in their efforts.
In concertation with all members of the Organizing Committee, each Director will be assigned an
area of expertise. See further for examples of potential areas of expertise we are looking
Benefits: In this role, you will benefit from meeting and working with an expanded network of
emerging environmental leaders, industry experts, as well as exciting and high profile speakers,
panelists and project advisors. As a member of the Organizing Committee, you will be coached
by the Project manager to help you develop and strengthen your organizational, communication
and leadership skills. You will cultivate a unique roster of contacts in the private, non-profit and
government sectors, and deliver a high profile and rewarding event. All interested candidates
should apply to a general Director position. The top 5 candidates will be selected and will be each
assigned an area of expertise according to their interest and skills.
If you are interested in this exciting and dynamic volunteer position, please send your CV and a
brief (150- 450 words) statement outlining your preferred area of expertise, why you are
interested in, and the best candidate for, this position, to: email@example.com by
Thursday. November 3, 2011.
Areas of Expertise:
– Work with the Project Manager and Forum’s Steering Committee to develop a marketing strategy and event brand
– Promote and build excitement around the Forum;
– Create promotional material;
– Create and update website content.
– Use various forms of media to attract young leaders to the Forum.
– Coordinate room bookings, hospitality (catering) and other details with Globe 2010
– Prepare and print the delegate’s package;
– Prepare all materials required on the day of the Forum (handouts, name tags, etc.)
– Make all necessary arrangements for all physical and human resources needed on the
day of the Forum.
Future Leader engagement
– Develop and implement a recruitment strategy for Forum participants;
– Design and supervise the registration process;
– Create and organize activities to engage participants before the Forum;
– Prepare the delegate’s package;
– Create and submit a Forum feedback survey.
Speakers, Guests and Mentors
– Keep track of speakers that have been invited and of their answer;
– Prepare information packages for speakers and mentors to explain the goals of the
Forum and how we see their contribution;
– Collect all speakers and mentors’ biographies and pictures
– Find and purchase “Thank you gifts” gifts;
– Arrange for any special requirements by the speakers or mentors;
– Greet and direct guests on the day of the Forum.
Organizational Liaison and Post-event activity organizer
– Seek out and build connections with representatives from organizations with mandates that support the goals of the Emerging Environmental Leaders forum.
– Through the coordination with organizations work to build lasting meeting/communication spaces for delegates of the Emerging Environmental Leaders forum before, during and particularly after the event – due to the geographic spread of delegates these meeting spaces should be face-to-face and online
– Maintain a long-term relationship with the participants and preserve the network of the EEL Forum.